Feb 22, 2010

Scalloped Ovals without a punch

Hi All,

This is another card I made over the weekend, and its one of several where I have been trying to use up some scraps and precut card sitting several stories high on my side table to my desk. Actually, I'm pretty sure this pile could take on the Leaning Tower of Pisa for a feat of physics.


Anyway, here's the card:




And here's an upclose pic of the detail:




Now I've made this scalloped oval around the sentiment from my scalloped border punch and its remarkably easy. I'm pretty sure I saw this tip on another stamper's blog, but I can't remember who - if its you, please let me know and I'll set up the appropriate links. Otherwise, if you are interested in trying it yourself, I've outlined the steps below:


Making Your Own Scalloped Oval:
  1. Cut a thin strip of cardstock and punch along one edge. My finished strip was about 5mm wide at the widest part (across the scallop)
  2. Take your stamped and punched oval sentiment, and place sticky strip adhesive all around the edge on the back. For this card, I've layered my punched sentiment on a piece of kiwi kiss card and trimmed to shape with my paper snips.
  3. Gently adhere your scalloped strip to the back of your oval, slightly bending the strip around the oval. If you look really closely, you may be able to pick up where I was a little too rough and ripped the scalloped strip.
  4. I finished off by sponging around the edge and then adhered the entire sentiment to my card with more sticky strip.
Not bad for my first attempt hey!

I've also used some rhinestone brads for the centre of my filagree flower brads. The plain brads just weren't going to be enough on this card.


Materials Used:
Stamp Set: "Vintage Labels" & "Boho Backgrounds"
Cardstock / Ink Colours: Basic Grey, Kiwi Kiss & Whisper White
Other: Designer Series Paper - Urban Garden, Filagree Brads, Wide Oval Punch, Sponge Daubers, Paper Snips



Thanks for looking,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! It's always good to receive some feedback on my creations!